In Memory of Paul J. Schupf, LL.D. ’06: Benefactor, Governor Emeritus, Friend
One of the Colby College Museum of Art’s greatest benefactors, Governor Emeritus Paul J. Schupf, LL.D. ’06, died Wednesday at 82. Schupf’s name graces the Colby campus in one lovely space after another, and his generous support of the arts, sciences and residential life at Colby will be felt for generations.
Introduced to Colby in 1985 through the Museum and his friendship with former Museum director Hugh Gourley, Schupf — a knowledgeable and serious art collector — contributed several important artworks, including many paintings from his private collection. When the Paul J. Schupf Wing for the Works of Alex Katz was dedicated in 1996, he made an American rarity possible—an entire wing devoted to the work of a one living artist.
His most recent contribution was his gift to name the Paul J. Schupf Art Center in downtown Waterville.
Schupf’s generosity also created the Paul J. Schupf Sculpture Court, the Paul J. Schupf Computational Chemistry Laboratory in the Paul J. Schupf Scientific Computing Center, Schupf Residence Hall, the Paul J. Schupf Colby/Memorial Sloan Kettering Internship, and the Lorey/Schupf Handbell Choir.
Schupf also donated his time, serving as Colby trustee from 1991 to 2006, on the Board of Visitors 1985-91, and on the Museum’s Board of Governors from 1994-2006. At the time of his death, Schupf served on Colby’s Dare Northward Campaign Cabinet.
A memorial service at Colby for Schupf will be scheduled.
Image: Alex Katz (1927 – ), Portrait of Paul Schupf, n.d., 20th century, graphite on paper. Gift of Paul J. Schupf LL.D. ’06, Lifetime Trust, Gregory O. Koerner, Trustee, The Paul J. Schupf Wing for the Works of Alex Katz. Accession Number: 2018.136.